Monday, October 18, 2010

Hair Loss

Chemotherapy is not a bitch.  But for us women, losing our hair, no matter how pitiful ours is, IS a bitch.  Right on schedule--15 days after my first chemo treatment it came out with a vengence.  First the tingling and the itching, then the odd strands on my neck, then BOOM!

But growing up in the sixties and seventies, it is interesting to see how prophetic our songwriters were!

Riding with the top down in my convertible brought to mind "Up Up and Away"
Finding handful IN MY HANDS as I showered:  "I'm going to wash that gray, Uhh Hair, right out of my hair"
Looking at the receding hairline:  "You don't know what you've got til it's gone"
Or the classical lyrics from, oh yes, you know:

Give me a head with hair, long beautiful hair
Shining, gleaming, streaming, flaxen, waxen
Give me down to there, hair, shoulder length or longer
Here baby, there, momma, everywhere, daddy, daddy
Hair, flow it, show it
Long as God can grow, my hair
Let it fly in the breeze and get caught in the trees
Give a home to the fleas, in my hair
A home for fleas, a hive for the buzzing bees
A nest for birds, there ain't no words
For the beauty, splendor, the wonder of my hair
Flow it, show it
Long as God can grow, my hair
I want long, straight, curly, fuzzy, snaggy, shaggy, ratty, matty
Oily, greasy, fleecy, shining, gleaming, streaming, flaxen, waxen
Knotted, polka dotted, twisted, beaded, braided
Powered, flowered and confettied
Bangled, tangled, spangled and spahettied
Oh say, can you see my eyes if you can
Then my hair's too short

Or as my BFF Colleen so emphatically put it:
My hair like Jesus wore it, Halleluia I adore it

So, what did I do?  I immediately buzzed the sucker , accompanied by my adorable husband and my friend Shelby's husband who had their heads buzzed in support. (They both said they needed haircuts, but frankly girls, their hair was shorter BEFORE we got buzzed than mine was after buzz.)  It was a sweet show of support that warmed my heart, and we had a lot of laughs along the way.

Gee, I just could not get ONE of my girlfriends to shave THEIR heads in support but Jean in her enthusiasm DID offer.   I gave her a "bye" on it and she very quickly accepted with heartfelt enthusiam--humm--maybe a little TOO much enthusaism?!?  But all those other girlfriends are bringing delicious meals and desserts and fresh apples and so they get a "bye" too.

Discoveries?

People are very kind

The litte prickly hairs left after the buzz hold your hat on very securely.
The kids in school were right when they called me an "egghead"--I have a perfect egg shaped head!
I rediscovered how small my ears are.
Big earrings are fun!

I have an unobstructed view of where my face could benefit from a nip and a tuck in time.
Makeup takes more time and care.
Lizette offers eyebrow stencils for when yours go toodle do. (Thank you, Shelby)

Frameless glasses work well with hats (Thank you, Shelby)
A plain ole fedora stolen from my daughter Casey's closet, when embellished with a beaded leather strap as a headband, is way cool
Lots of cute hats, hair halos, bangs and much more at http://www.tlcdirect.org/
Get great hats at Nordstrom shop.nordstrom.com/      
(Thank you, again, Shelby).
Chemo chicks offers henna head stencils for something really different--they say "for the brave"  (Thanks, Helene)  http://www.chemochicks.com/

I don''t mind being bald (MOST SHOCKING)
I feel colder now, but imagine the benefits of managing hot flashes when I start antihormone therapy--with all that heat escaping from my head, I can be a human match!

Brazilian bikini wax for no extra charge, no wax, no pain, full privacy in your own home, lasts six months
No waxing or shaving your legs for six months
No $50 haircuts and $100 colors for 6 months
But I am tempted to spend that on hats--a nice faux fur cossack hat for winter that looks like sable

So, I've got the GI Jane Haircut (or as I said to my MedOnc today "You give one hell of a haircut")
Now I have to get to work on the bod1
    

No comments:

Post a Comment